These amazing Pumpkin Patch Cupcakes feature a sugar and spice flavored cupcake with cinnamon and nutmeg spiced frosting and candy pumpkins.
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg or 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- Green paste food coloring
- Brown paste food coloring
- 12 Sugar and Spice Cupcakes (see recipe below) or other 2-1/2-inch cupcakes in paper bake cups
- Candy pumpkins
- For frosting, in a large mixing bowl beat sour cream, butter, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg with an electric mixer on medium speed until combined. Beat in powdered sugar until smooth. Tint frosting with green and brown food colorings to reach desired grass color. Beat in enough milk to reach desired consistency
- Set Sugar and Spice Cupcakes on a wire rack. Place frosting in a large pastry bag fitted with a multi-opening (grass) tip. Using quick upward motions, pipe frosting to look like grass on tops of cupcakes.
- Place two or three candy pumpkins on top of each cupcake. If desired, change pastry bag tip to a small round tip; pipe up and over the green stem end of each candy pumpkin, forming tendrils. Makes 12 (12-1/2-inch) cupcakes.